Monday, October 11, 2010

Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower. ~Albert Camus

a photo I took on our '07 trip to PA. And just like this trip, I don't know where the road leads.


Autumn. My favorite season. Funny that I'd end up living somewhere that doesn't have fall. Some people may find the season depressing: summer's gone, time to go huddle indoors. But I always loved the colors of the leaves. I loved the sound of the leaves crunching underneath my shoes. I loved how the softly knit sweaters felt against my skin. I loved the smell and taste of hot chocolate as I tried to get warm. I miss fall. But you won't find me moving away from Hawaii anytime soon. =)

Fall actually fits my mood as of late, though I didn't realize it until today. People usually associate cleaning things up with spring, but not me. Just as the trees shed their leaves, I've been feeling the need to shake things up a bit and get rid of a few things. Not just physical clutter, which we also have way too much of, but the mental confusion as well. The home de-cluttering was actually off to a good start. Unfortunately it had to be put on hold due to a family bout with the flu. Clearing the mental clutter will be the more challenging one for me. As usual, I've got so many things I'm interested in right now.

Along with starting a new blog, I began reading Julia Cameron's Finding Water this week. The first topic for Week 1: Beginners. Apparently, starting a project or a class is difficult for some people, scary even. Not for me. As I mentioned on my very first post, I'm a chronic beginner. It's finishing that I seem to fear, as my multiple projects/classes will attest to. Having said that, my goal for the rest of the year is to actually finish something that I've started. It doesn't have to be anything big, in fact the smaller, the better. It doesn't even have to be done perfectly (my biggest challenge because it would mean that I can't obsess over every little thing I haven't done or done "properly"). Completing a project would be so satisfying. Even if I decide not to do it again, it would still mean I'll no longer berate myself for either never trying it or never finishing it (and I can finally get rid of some supplies in my closet). So I guess the question now is: which project do I work on?

Was it me, or was I starting to ramble there? See? Clutter! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment