Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Looking up

Photo 63
monkey bars at the playground

  The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes -- Marcel Proust

After the whirlwind tour of Colorado and the hundreds of pictures I took, I admit I came crashing down after returning to Honolulu.  How does one recover from seeing one gorgeous view after another, to going back to the same house and doing the same chores day after day?  Perhaps had I taken a little more time to rest, I wouldn't have burned out quite so badly.  It's no surprise that I took all of 20(?) pictures in September and then promptly fell ill.  

Starting Finding Water has been a definite boost for me.  I was afraid that after having gone without writing for months, returning to writing three pages daily would be a struggle.  It was a pleasant surprise to find my pen gliding easily through my notebook.  These pages, along with the exercises in the book have given me fresh insight to my fear of completing projects as well as help me find my motivation in dabbling with different art forms.  I've rediscovered my interest in drawing after watching my daughter play with my unused art supplies.  I've formed a new interest in playing with paint after watching her decorate our front hall with her masterpieces.  I've gotten an itch to play around in the kitchen after seeing my sister's beautiful cake creations (to the point that I've been perusing cook books and browsing through kitchen supplies in different stores -- I just LOVE Compleat Kitchen!) I've rediscovered my love for dance and old movies after sitting down with my hubby to watch Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse in The Bandwagon.  I've even reconnected with a good friend who I haven't seen in a couple of months-- a big deal since she is one of my biggest supporters outside of my dear hubby.  And finally, I've begun to carry my camera around again, even when I'm "just" going to the playground with the family.  How could it take me so long to remember that I don't need new scenery every day to take photos, I just needed to take another look at where I already am?   

Week one (which took two weeks to complete) was supposed to be about "uncovering a sense of optimism."  I think I can finally move on to week 2.   

Here's a scene from The Bandwagon.

No comments:

Post a Comment